PetroLegacy Energy (“PetroLegacy”) is committed to upholding its long standing relationships with landowners, non-operated working interest partners and service providers.

Land Owner FAQs

Q: How do I change my address?
A: Please notify PetroLegacy promptly of any change in your mailing address. This notice must be in writing with your signature or the signature of your appointed agent. Please include your name, old address, new address and telephone number, in case we have any questions. For your protection, address changes will not be accepted by telephone. A form for address changes can be found here.

Royalty payment Faqs

Q: When are royalty checks mailed each month?
A: Royalty checks are mailed on the 25th, provided it is a business day. If the 25th falls on a holiday or weekend, then checks will be mailed on the first business day after the holiday or weekend. For example, if 7/25/XX falls on a Saturday, royalty checks will be mailed on Monday, 7/27/XX.  To avoid any delays with receiving royalty checks, you may sign up for direct deposit at any time.

Q: How do I set up direct deposit for my royalty payments?
A: In order to sign up for direct deposit, please download the Royalty Owner Direct Deposit Form here. Please print this form, complete it, and then return it to us by email to or mail to the following address:

PetroLegacy Energy
Attn: Revenue Accounting
13215 Bee Cave Parkway, Bldg B, Ste 350
Austin, TX 78738

If we do not have a signed W-9 For on file for you already, we will require one in order to process your royalty payments and set up direct deposit. If you need to provide us with a current W-9 Form, please download the form here. Please print this form, complete it, and then return it to us by email to or mail to the following address:

PetroLegacy Energy
Attn: Land Department
13215 Bee Cave Parkway, Bldg B, Ste 350
Austin, TX 78738

Q: Why haven't I received my check?
A: Please wait ten business days before contacting PetroLegacy in order to give the mail ample time for delivery. If you have any questions about your royalty payments, please contact the Revenue Accounting Department or Land Department at 512-735-9000 in order to inquire about your account. Factors that may impact your account include the following:

  • Your account may be in suspense due to a bad address, transfer of interest, unsigned division order or title dispute.

  • The royalty amount owed to you may be less than $100. Funds in your account must accumulate to at least $100 in order to be paid out to you.

Q: What do I do if my check is lost, stolen, or becomes outdated?
A: Contact our Revenue Accounting Department at 512-735-9000 to request a reissued payment if your check has been lost or stolen. Please have the following information ready when you call:

  • Your name

  • Your social security number or taxpayer identification number

We will verify the status of your check, stop payment if the check is outstanding, and then reissue the payment

Q: Why does my monthly payment sometimes vary?
A: Many factors impact royalty payments including market conditions, regulatory or contractual changes, diminished production, seasonal conditions, and downtime. It is important to know that most oil and gas productions typically decline each month, with the highest volumes occurring during the first few months after a well is turned on.

Q: Why does my payment differ from others in my family?
A: Differences may occur because ownership among family members may be different, one party may not have provided PetroLegacy with a taxpayer identification number or social security number, or some family members may own additional interests in other producing properties in addition to those commonly owned.

Q: What kinds of taxes are deducted from my check?
A: Generally, state severance taxes are deducted. Further, if you do not provide us with your social security number, we may withhold federal income tax as required by the Internal Revenue Service. If you’re a non-resident alien, we may deduct federal income tax from your check.

Please note, unless you have failed to provide a social security number, no federal income tax is withheld from your check. We strongly recommend that you consult with a licensed tax accountant or legal professional regarding tax obligations that accrue from your royalty payments.

Q: How do I find unclaimed funds in my name?
A: Please visit the National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrator (NAUPA) website at to locate and collect unclaimed funds in your name.

Q: Why are royalty payments suspended?
A: The reasons for suspending royalty payments include title disputes, death of an owner, transfer of ownership, unknown address, unexecuted division order, legal requirements, lien, or missing taxpayer identification number or social security number.

Q: What is a Division Order?
A division order is a directive signed on behalf of the interest owner verifying to the purchaser or operator of a well the decimal interest of production owned by the owner. It also provides the owner’s remittance address and taxpayer identification number or social security number.

Q: Who do I contact to determine the value of my mineral interest?
A: PetroLegacy does not provide any type of valuation or opinion of your interest.  Please contact the appraisal district in the county or parish where you own minerals in order to inquire about the value of your mineral interest.

Q: Where do I send documents to have them recorded?
A: All heirship and conveyance documents must be filed for public record with the county clerk in the county or parish where the property is located.